Wednesday, June 25, 2008

you say toMAYto, I say toMAHto

I'm up in Portland with my people for our family reunion. I could tell you about the glorious reunion with warm embraces and making merry. Or that I am so blessed to have them, which is completely true. But let's cut to more important matters. This morning my dad said GRANola. Perhaps this is an alternate pronunciation. I don't know as I don't have my Big Book of Beastly Mispronunciations with me to check. He's a smart man. Just ask him, he'll tell you. Which is why it makes it strangely gratifying. He has his own take on accurate. His version is something like ACK-er-ut. Many years ago, before they were so common, he ordered a que-SAW-dah (quesadilla). We'll never forget it, nor will we let him. The only one I can think of for my mom is that she says cah-FAY (cafe). But what she does do is get things just a little bit wrong. Peepee Longstocking anyone?

5 comments:

Christine said...

Its nice to see that you aren't leaving us hanging while on vaca!

rocknbrocks said...

So fun to hear about Vern and Phyllis, what great people! Speaking of Pipee, my brothers and I still imitate her to this day, by coninuing to move our mouths AFTER we've finished speaking.....the sound track was ALWAYS off on that show....this younger generation has no idea who Pippee is....that was our fun kids show in the 80's! Have fun with your peeps!

Chrissy said...

Hope you are having fun and get a chance to go to "Chipottle" while you are there.

Shonda said...

OH dear I am laughing out loud so hard!!!! Oh I just love Vern and Phyl Babe! Was it Phyllis or Ginny that called 10,000 Maniacs 1 million idiots?? Snort!
By the way, what is the pronunciation of Chipotle? I was recently corrected by a 16 year old boy. The nerve. I say ChipolTAY. Am I wrong? Oh dear Queen of Grammar and Pronunciation, please advise me!

Kristen said...

I'm sure I have more than my share of mispronunciations, I just don't know them. And I clearly deserve to have them pointed out. I believe Chipotle is chi-POTE-lay. All I know for sure is that they have delicious chicken tacos.