Monday, June 2, 2008

oompa loompa doom-pa-dee-do

Getting a tan was part of growing up in southern California. I never "won" the junior high ritual of putting forearms together and comparing. Instead, I burned and blistered almost every summer of my life. I've come to accept my fair skin for the most part, but every few years I try a self tanner. My first attempt was about 20 years ago and the result wasn't pretty. Neither were the comments. It took several days and a lot of St. Ives Apricot Scrub to get rid of the deep orange glow. But I'm still lured by all the self-tanners lining the shelves at the drugstore and think they must have improved over the years. Jergen's makes a lotion that really does give a nice, subtle color, but the smell is more than I can take. My latest try was a mousse by Neutrogena. I'm waiting for the stripes to fade.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Embrace your whiteness.

Shonda said...

Ya, and all those tan babes are now wrinkled and old looking. You still have that youthful glow, vitality and elasticity.

Katherine said...

I am laughing at Anne's comment. I agree- that jergen's stuff is a quality product, but it is strong-smelling! My sister Julia puts it on, waits 10 minutes, and then takes ANOTHER shower! I think she has too much time on her hands.

Kim said...

Kristen,

You are too creative! It's nice to have a good laugh. I also have tried that nasty smelling Jergens stuff and have two tubes of it in my cupboard right now. One was a gift from my sister. Was she trying to tell me something in a subtle way. My Mom, on the other hand, last time I saw her just flat out told me I needed something since my legs were so white and didn't look good with the no hosiery going to church look.

rocknbrocks said...

Hey Kristen
Cubby introduced me to Loreal Sublime gradual daily tanner. It seems less streaky than Jergens. Also, I read in Real Simple, that Nivea tanner got the highest score for moisturization. I am convinced they ALL are smelly! Hey, where is the photo of you in your self-tanner!!! love, flame