Wednesday, August 27, 2008

call me, call me any anytime

My family is loopy when it comes to phones. In the past we had a problem with eavesdropping. One night I answered the phone and it was a friend of my dad's. I called for him to pick up, but instead of hanging up, I kept listening. A few minutes later, my dad's phone disconnected and I could hear his friend saying, "Vern? Are you there? Vern?" I didn't know what to do. The poor guy couldn't figure it out because it hadn't disconnected but my dad wasn't answering. Later I found out that I wasn't the only one listening in. Both my mother and my sister Annie were upstairs on this pink and turquoise phone that had two handsets. Three people eavesdropping on the same phone call-wrong, wrong, wrong.

These days we have another issue. When I call my parents' voicemail I hear Anne's voice who hasn't lived there for over ten years. But when I call Anne's house, I get that stilted computer voice. I hear my brother Matthew's voice inviting me to, "leave a message for Phyllis," when I call my mom's cell phone. It used to be Matthew pretending to be my mother, so I guess we're making progress.

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Why am I less disturbed by the eaves-dropping and more disturbed by the pink and turqouise phone?

Anne said...

Love this!

wonderfulworldofwards said...

happy birthday foxy!!!!

Katherine said...

OH MY GOSH! I am laughing so hard! I forgot that Matthew left that message on your mom's cell phone. I never heard it, but my mom told me about it!! I had the EXACT same phone!! Oh my gosh- Annie, wasn't that a swatch phone? You guys are hilarious!! I just love your family!!