Wednesday, September 24, 2008

getting to know you, getting to know all about you

Monday night I was eating dinner with friends from church and one of the guys had recently been on a first date. He was planning on asking her out again. He said I knew who his date was, but he wouldn't tell me her name. That just makes me want to know all the more.

Last night I was talking to my friend Matt and he also was secretive about something. When I asked questions, he said, "You're getting all Jessica Fletcher on me." It's true. I want to know things, things that are probably none of my business.

My dad is like that, too, but he's better at getting information. I recently went to an etiquette class given by my friend Erin. She mentioned that the three things you shouldn't ask people are about their age, weight, and income. Those are some of my dad's favorite questions. And he gets away with it! One time (of the many times) we were at El Pollo Loco there was a young guy there dressed just like my dad in dark pants, white button down, and red tie. I said, "Look Dad, it's a younger you." He said, "Oh, I'm not that heavy." I replied, "He looks about right." He turned to the guy and asked, "What do you weigh?" Without blinking the guy said, "260." He ended up having dinner with us. My brother-in-law Brock does an impression of my dad saying, "What are you making? What's your net?" When we told my dad he wasn't bothered. Instead he said, "That's not right. I ask about gross, not net."

1 comment:

Shonda said...

That is the funniest thing I've ever read! I remember a funny comment your dad made about a baby to it's mother, but I won't post it. Do you remember?? It was probably 1984 or so. Vern is the best.